In a connected world, people use pc’s, laptop, tablet, phones on a regular basis to check their e-mail’s, chat with friends, and much more.
Technology has given us freedom, the option, to share what we want, when we want, and from where ever we want with our friends and family.
But everything has its pros and cons, with increased usage of internet, criminals began devising ways to target users.
As many of us are familiar with, or heard about Viruses, Worms, Malwares, Spywares. They are software, a piece of code, or a script designed to do something which the user is usually unaware of , such activities include;
- Spying on your browsing habits
- Logging your key strokes (Password Stealing)
- Take screen shots
- Make changes to your OS files
- Disable certain funcionalities of your system
- Corrupt your physical disk
And the list could go on and on..
Amongst these, Ransomware is now spreading fast, its does’nt mean that its new just because you hav’nt heard about it, its been around since 1989.
The first known Ransomware was known as “AIDS” trojan also known as “PC Cyborg” written by Joseph Popp, which triggered a payload claiming that the user’s license to use a certain piece of software had expired, encrypted file names on the hard drive, and required the user to pay US$189 to “PC Cyborg Corporation” in order to unlock the system.
Ransomware comprises a class of malware which restricts access to the computer system that it infects, and demands a ransom paid to the creator of the malware in order for the restriction to be removed. Some forms of ransomware encrypt files on the system’s hard drive (cryptoviral extortion), while some may simply lock the system and display messages intended to coax the user into paying.
In simple words, “पैसा निकालो, वरना तुम्हारे कंप्यूटर का डेटा उड़ा देंगे” – गुंडागर्दी – Hooliganism
Recently a new Ransomware has surfaced, CryptoLocker
What this does is, it encrypts your file system with 2048-bit RSA key, targeting files matching a whitelist of file extension, and then demands a payment with either a MoneyPak card or Bitcoin to recover the key and begin decrypting files, and threatens to delete the private key if a payment is not received within 3 days, as you can see in the screen shot above, a count down timer is shown how much time you have before it deletes the private key.
Ransomware attacks/exploits on users have increased significantly in past few years. Read about recent ransomware attack TOI Link.
Some tips to avoid being exploited:-
- Do not open email’s/attachments from unknown senders.
- Do not install toolbars/free smilies/free wallpapers/free live wallpapers.
- Always scan any removable media with a good Antivirus which has an up to date virus definations, before accesing it.
P.S.: A note on free smilies/free wallpapers/free live wallpaper: these are mere tricks to lure unwary users into installing spywares/malware on there system.
The Telecom and Education Minister, Kapil Sibbal has launched a new Tablet PC just for Rs. 3,000 only,
to students at a low price between 1.500 – 1,750.
Originally known as UBISLATE is now launched as Aakash Tablet by the Government.
Data wind, the manufacturing company of UK introduced the tablet Aakash for the Indian market.
As Suneet Singh Tuli says ‘’ This is a made-in-India product. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to do this” .
- Processor: Connexant with Graphics accelerator and HD Video processor
- Memory (RAM): 256MB RAM / Storage (Internal): 2GB Flash
- Storage (External): 2GB to 32GB Supported
- Peripherals (USB2.0 ports, number): 2 Standard USB port
- Audio out: 3.5mm jack / Audio in: 3.5mm jack
- Display and Resolution: 7” display with 800×480 pixel resolution
- Input Devices: Resistive touch screen
- Connectivity and Networking: GPRS and WiFi IEEE 802.11 a/b/g
- Power and Battery: Up to 180 minutes on battery. AC adapter 200-240 volt range.
- OS: Android 2.2
- Document Rendering
- Supported Document formats: DOC, DOCX, PPT, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, ODT, ODP
- PDF viewer, Text editor
- Multimedia and Image Display
- Image viewer supported formats: PNG, JPG, BMP and GIF
- Supported audio formats: MP3, AAC, AC3, WAV, WMA
- Supported video formats: MPEG2, MPEG4, AVI, FLV
- Communication and Internet
- Separate application for online YouTube video
- Safety and other standards compliance
- CE certification / RoHS certification
- Other: Additional Web Browser: UbiSurfer-Browser with compression/acceleration and IE8 rendering.
Coming April 2012